Skip to main content

Just one Trump transition aide for U.S. spy agencies: officials

Only one member of President-elect Donald Trump's transition team is dealing with the CIA and the 16 other offices and agencies that make up the U.S. intelligence community, four U.S. officials said Wednesday.

Geoffrey Kahn, a former House intelligence committee staffer, is the only person named so far to Trump's intelligence community "landing team," they said. 

As a result, said one senior career intelligence officer, briefing books prepared by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, the National Security Agency, the National Counterterrorism Center, and 13 other agencies and organizations are "waiting for someone to read them."

"It seems like an odd time to put issues like cyber security and international terrorism on the back burner," said the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Previous administrations, the official said, were quicker to staff their intelligence teams, in part because they considered intelligence issues critical to setting foreign policy, defense and budget priorities.

The intelligence community has some 200,000 employees and contractors and an annual budget of more than $70 billion. 

It collects and analyzes information on a vast array of subjects, from national security threats such as terrorism and climate change to global conflicts and the foreign, defense and trade policies of foreign governments.

Kahn has been in periodic contact with the CIA, said two of the officials, adding that they did not know if he had been in touch with the other intelligence agencies.

In addition to reviewing potential candidates for top posts, Kahn is responsible for coordinating briefings for nominees and helping prepare them for Senate confirmation hearings.

Trump has announced that he intends to nominate U.S. Representative Mike Pompeo of Kansas to succeed CIA Director John Brennan, who will step down in January.

He has yet to tap nominees for other senior positions, including a successor to Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, the top U.S. intelligence officer. Clapper, 75, will leave the government when Trump is sworn as president on January 20.


Trump on Tuesday received only his third intelligence briefing since he won the Nov. 8 presidential election, despite an offer from President Barack Obama of daily briefings, three of the officials said.

Vice President-elect Mike Pence has been receiving intelligence briefings daily or nearly every day, one of the officials said.

Trump's decision to forgo daily briefings and his delay in designating more transition advisers to engage with the intelligence agencies may reflect his focus on filling the top economic positions in his administration.

However, said the senior career official, it also may reflect the disinterest and distrust in U.S. intelligence Trump has expressed during and after his presidential campaign.

Asked on Aug. 17 if he trusted U.S. intelligence, Trump replied: 

"Not so much from the people that have been doing it for our country. 

I mean, look what's happened over the last 10 years."

After his first classified briefing as the Republican presidential candidate, Trump said he "didn't learn anything" that prompted him to rethink his view about how to fight Islamic State. 

On the other hand, he said, "When they call it intelligence, it's there for a reason.

"On other occasions, he has contradicted or ignored what his briefers told him.

After being briefed that U.S. intelligence had concluded that the Russian government was behind the hacking of U.S. political institutions, he said that "maybe there is no hacking" or than maybe it was China or "somebody sitting on their bed that weighs 400 pounds.

"Trump's attitude contrasts with those of his predecessors.

In his book "Getting to Know the President," veteran CIA officer John Helgerson wrote that former President Jimmy Carter asked for longer briefings and Bill Clinton asked the CIA to expand his daily briefs to include economic and environmental issues.


Popular posts from this blog

Iran Killing Command: The use of firearms in dealing with protesters

The document you see on the image is the order of the commander of the Tehran repressive force to all the units based in the city.

Based on this agenda, the mercenaries of the corrupt government Islamic Republic of Iran have been allowed to use firearms in the event of any protest movement against people by the regime.
This is a murder command.
The repressive force of the law, known to the world's famous police and guardians, should protect the lives of its citizens, by freeing their mercenaries, they allow them to murder Iranians who are protesting the corruption in the government and you have the important message that if you come to the streets in protest of corruption and torture and massacre, we will kill you.
Because, according to criminal Khomeini, maintenance of the system is obligatory.
A corrupt government that is so hideous that spend billions of dollars from the national treasury and popular capitalto the suppression of its people and the countries of the region, must be ov…

ایران فرمان قتل : دستور استفاده از سلاح گرم در برخورد با معترضان

سندی که در تصویر میبینید دستور فرمانده نیروی سرکوبگر انتظامی تهران به همه یگانهای مستقر در این شهر است.
بر اساس این دستور کار ، مزدوران حکومت فاسد نظام جمهوری اسلامی اجازه یافته اند که درصورت بروز هرگونه جنبش اعتراضی از سوی مردم علیه رژیم ، از سلاح گرم استفاده کنند.
این دستور یک فرمان قتل است.
نیروی سرکوبگر انتظامی که به ظاهر و تعریف شناخته شده پلیس در سراسر جهان ، میبایست حافظ جان شهروندان باشد ، با آزاد گذاشتن دست مزدوران چکمه پوش خود انها را مجاز به قتل ایرانیان معترض به فسادهای موجود درلایه های حکومت میکنند و این پیام مهم را در خود دارد که اگر در اعتراض به  فساد و شکنجه و کشتار به خیابانها بریزید شما را خواهیم کشت.
چرا که به گفته خمینی دجال، حفظ نظام از اوجب واجبات است.
حکومت فاسدی که انقدر وقیح هست که میلیاردها دلار از خزانه ملی و سرمایه مردمی را صرف سرکوب مردم خود و کشورهای منطقه میکند باید سرنگون کرد.
اکنون چهل سال است که کشور ما به اشغال این ملایان جنایکتارخونخوار و اسلام تحمیلی در آمده است .
هنوز باورش برای برخی سخت است که درک کنند کشور ما به معنای واقعی کلمه از سوی بنیادگرایان الله…

مائده مختار زاده یکی از اعضاء فعال گروهک تروریستی سازمان مجاهدین خلق در ایران_قسمت 1

گزارش شماره یک درباره یکی از خائنین به ملت ایران
 همانطور که ملت بزرگ و شریف ایران زمین میدانند یکی از خطرناک ترین و فاسدترین گروه های تروریستی که سالیان سال در سطح جهان وایران به فعالیتهای غیر انسانی و جنایتکارانه مبادرت می ورزند و با افکار و عقاید بیمارگونه خود جانهای جوانان ایران زمین را می آلایند، گروهک تروریستی مجاهدین خلق می باشد.
جنایات آنان طی سالیان گذشته بر همگان آشکار بوده و چه خانواده هایی که فرزندان عزیز خود را که توسط اعضای این گروه شستشوی مغزی داده شدند ، از دست داده اند و دیگرانی که طعمه شکارچیان بی رحم این گروه تروریستی قرار گرفته اند.
اما خانواده هایی هستند که همچنان نسل اندر نسل به این سازمان تروریستی وفادارند و ایدئولوژی جنایتکارانه خود را به فرزندشان منتقل می کنند و همچنان در داخل و خارج ایران به ترویج افکار مسموم آنها و همچنین فعالیتهای تروریستی مشغول می باشند.
در اینجا به معرفی یکی از این خانواده ها و تشریح فعالیتهای آنها از سالهای آغازین انقلاب ایران تا کنون  خواهیم پرداخت:
مصطفی و جعفر مهیمنی و یکی از خواهرانشان مرضیه مهیمنی ساکن شهرستان بابل در استان مازندران در س…